January 19, 2006

Respect

Everyone wants it, many demand it. You can hardly watch an episode of ESPN's SportCenter without hearing about someone who doesn't think they get enough respect. People, for the most part, want to be recognized by others as worthy and meaningful in many social scenarios.

I'm a big respect person. I've come to expect it from people because it's something I always try to give to others. Honesty with people and loyalty, two things that are very high up on my list of essentials, basically stem from how much respect you give to people and how much you get in return.

So you can imagine how..... let's say..... 'upset' I can get when I feel that I am being purposely and systematically disrespected. Sitting at lunch last Thursday, some coworkers started to randomly rant on about politics (you can probably see the flashing lights and medic units that lie ahead). I happened to mention that I disagreed with one of their statements, and a political "discussion" ensued. I use "discussion" lightly because, while I was trying to make intelligent and relevant points, my "opponent" did little arguing. Instead, he felt that discrediting the validity of my statements, openly mocking me and trying to make elaborate mind traps in order to fool me into admitting defeat were more appropriate tactics. I really didn't appreciate it and felt that he fell far short of what his intelligence should achieve.

But OK, whatever, from a group of people who are ridiculously liberal (to the point that its almost as scary as right-wing bible beaters), I guess I should expect that. Move on in life and forget about it. Then Friday rolls around, and the same opponent, whose name is Pete by the way, is sitting at the table again. Two others are there when the Big Boss of work sits down and inquires about some new 401K plan they are now offering. Pete is explaining what it is when, without warning, he makes reference to "his taxes not going to a pointless war in Iraq and Bush's' pockets." I'm not an idiot people, I knew immediately what the intent of this statement was: he was purposely making a comment to get under my skin. Here's a guy, a lanky Canadian of my height and possibly 75% of my weight, trying again to make me out to be a fool.

So that day, I email him, basically outlining how I didn't appreciate his unprovoked comments because I knew of his motives as outlined above. He then responds, and in the process of "indulging" my need to "e-debate", he hardly apologizes and, if anything, makes it seem as if my problems were my creation and nothing more.

Now I'm fucking furious. Indulge? INDULGE?!?!?!!??! Fuck You Buddy!

That's what I wanted to say, and maybe give him a swift roundhouse kick to the face. I sent him a response laden with sarcasm and practically bulleted points, trying to point out the audacity of his statements and put him in his place for once. I don't need a platform in front of coworkers like he does, I'll at least keep it private.

Officially, this guy is on my shit list. And you can get on there too! OK, that's extreme, but not too far off. Society is built upon the foundation of respect. If there is anything I can stress to people, it's respect. Do you have to respect everything someone does? Hell no. But when it comes to personal opinions, or beliefs, or someone's humanity in general, you should and must show respect. Don't be a fucking tard like my good friend Pete here, who goes through life trying to diminish the ideas of others in order to serve some egotistical agenda.

No comments: