February 25, 2008

Sweet (less) Release

I sincerely hope that one day people will look back on the recent writer's strike and realize how ridiculous everyone was. Christ almighty, these last three months made me feel as if I'd been whisked away by some magical force, back in time, to when Americans felt fear and anger at the ongoing Iranian hostage crisis. Was Ted Koppel opening the evening news with "day 46 of the writer's strike" or was that just my imagination? I mean, how can we possibly function as a society when new episodes of LOST and Ugly Betty are in doubt?!?! Between the strike, the blowhards in Hollywood supporting their "brothers in arms" like wounded veterans, and the front page crotch-shots from Brittney, you begin to see how we're able to piss off so many people around the world.

Anyway, two weeks ago a deal was reached and a national crisis was averted; writers left picket lines and went back to work, production began on new episodes and movies, and once again children were able to smile. It all culminated tonight with the airing of the Oscars (oh boy). As the lords and ladies of pretend played dress up, patting each other on the back and awarding eachother with painted phallic symbols, two thoughts ran through my mind:

1. What the hell actually happened here? - Par for the course, most people knew about the strike, worried about it, and didn't have a damn clue what it was actually about. The short version is that the writers guild wanted double in residuals, increased jurisdiction, and compensation for streaming and downloadable online entertainment. Claiming they would take nothing short of a full victory, the writers hoped to put the squeeze on production companies such as CBS and Paramount Pictures with no new content to push on advertisers. These corporations began slowly airing already taped shows, added new reality programs to the mix (including the long overdue return of American Gladiator, which is deserving of its own post), and used the strike as an opportunity to cut the dead weight of failed shows and restructure their businesses. As the insanely rich weathered the storm, viewership dropped marginally as writers began to feel the weight of lost finances. Resolve began to waiver, voices of dissent rose from within (in a union where membership is forced, what a surprise), and in the end they settled for a 50/50 compromise.

So what actually happened here? The way I see it, the writers lost three months of pay because they thought they could win a game of chicken with a bunch of corporate heads who made their millions by being shrewd business men. The writers swerved first, settled for what they were essentially offered from the start, and now we're supposed to applaud.2. Oh the Irony - While everyone got all worked up about Hollywood shutting down, an amazing thing happened: I found myself in the middle of the best 12 month movie stretch that I've EVER seen. Now I'll grant you the obvious, that all these movies were completed long before the strike ever came to be, but that doesn't take away from the fact that while the writers hoped for consumer outrage, studios were unleashing an impressive group of quality movies.

In fact, it was in the midst of the strike that, for the first time in my life, there were three movies out that I legitimately wanted to see in theaters. It all started this past summer when the latest installment of Harry Potter, Spiderman 3 and Transformers came out within a 30 day period (headlined by 'Potter' for me, they ranged from excellent to pretty good). Since then, there's been:

No Country For Old Men (by far my favorite movie of the year)
I Am Legend (very excited to see)
Cloverfield (groundbreaking and suspenseful)
Juno (great movie that wasn't on my radar)
Eastern Promises (ditto)
American Gangster (not quite as powerful as Eastern Promises, but still a very good mob film)
3:10 To Yuma (best western in a long time)

Amazingly, each one was at worst a solid B+. This doesn't even cover the fact that there was an interesting re-release that I missed out on (Blade Runner) and four other movies that I'm still looking forward to seeing sometime soon (There Will Be Blood, Golden Compass, 10,000 B.C., Gone Baby Gone). Lastly, I'm drooling in anticipation of two more movies that will round out this great 12 month period: Indiana Jones IV (which will officially decide, according to Phil, the debate over which complete George Lucas series was the best) and the Dark Knight, a movie I'm positively giddy to see.

So as far as I'm concerned, I hope another strike happens next year if I can expect a block of movies like this. Let the good time roll!

No comments: